The primary function is to implement the nursing process in providing direct patient care to infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult and gerontological patients. The staff nurse assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates nursing actions for surgical/invasive procedure patients before, during and after procedures according to standards of care and practice of BAMC. This position requires floating to either Presurgical functions and/or to GI services.Essential Functions:
1. Assesses the physiological and psychosocial status of perioperative patients.2. Establishes an outcome-oriented plan of care based on nursing diagnosis.3. Implements nursing interventions according to the prescribed plan:
- Verifies patient status by thorough review of medical records and presurgical assessment data.
- Provides verbal and/or written instructions to patients/families based on identified needs using understandable or correct terminology.
- Prepares patient for surgical or other invasive procedure(s).
- Prepares patients for discharge following department criteria and policies and procedures.
- Monitors patients post procedure and maintain or improve function.
- Promotes physical comfort and provides emotional support and safety for the patient.
- Administers medications according to hospital policies.
- Provides age appropriate care for all age groups.
- Clearly documents nursing actions taken.
4. Evaluates nursing actions and communicates and documents patient experience.5. Adheres to JCAHO professional standards and BAMC policies and procedures. Attends inservice training sessions as directed.6. Restocks and organizes supplies and equipment for the unit.7. Must be able to complete physical, sensory, and mental requirements of the position.Additional Responsibilities:
- Supports and adheres to the seven service care standards.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Additional duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
1. Graduate of school of nursing2. Current registration in the state of Wisconsin.3. American Heart Association BCLS required. ACLS and Sedation competency required if rotating to procedure suites, working in OR/PAR or administering sedation.4. Previous experience in care of the perioperative patient required.5. Must have high energy level with ability to work under stress and exhibit emotional maturity, stability, and flexibility.Working Conditions:
Potential exposure to Latex products, blood borne pathogens, hazardous materials, and communicable diseases. Exposure to body fluids, human tissue, contagious diseases, and sharps. Exposure to electrical current. Environment is climate controlled.
Associated topics: asn, care, domiciliary, infusion, intensive care unit, nurse, psychiatric, recovery, registered nurse, surgery